What does a carpenter do?
- Studying building plans for each job
- Cutting, treating and preparing timber
- Repairing existing wooden fittings
- Erecting building frames, roofs and floors
- Maintaining and sharpening tools
What skills do I need to be a carpenter?
- Attention to detail
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Decent physical fitness
- Able to work independently
- Precise and meticulous
There is room for career growth and variation within the trade. You could one day own and operate your own business performing specialised carpentry work.