What does a fitness instructor do?
Fitness instructors are responsible for promoting active and healthy lifestyles, equipping individuals with the skills needed to improve their level of fitness. Depending on their client’s individual goals, fitness instructors will recommend a tailored diet and exercise plan that will help them achieve the level of fitness they’re aiming for in a safe way. Fitness instructors lead group or individual exercise sessions, provide advice for healthy eating, recommend techniques and equipment, and monitor the progress and health status of their clients.
- Assessing client fitness levels
- Conducting group training sessions
- Demonstrating correct usage of gym equipment
- Providing targeted fitness plans
- Suggesting healthy eating habits
What skills do I need to be a fitness instructor?
- Communicate clearly with clients
- Goal-oriented and motivated
- Physically fit and active
- Positive and energetic attitude
- Enjoys working with people
In the booming fitness industry, there are a huge number of potential career options to explore. You can choose a specialisation that appeals to your interests, schedule and desired career trajectory.
Aqua fitness instructor
Group exercise instructor
Study pathways for fitness instructors
Training is essential to ensure you’re providing accurate and helpful information to your clients. As the fitness industry grows, having industry-recognised credentials will help set you apart from your competition.