What does a pet groomer do?
- Bathing and drying animals
- Applying treatments to ensure a healthy coat
- Clipping and detangling long coats
- Styling an animal’s coat
What skills do I need to be a pet groomer?
- Good listening, communication and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to interpret and respond to an animal’s mood
- Love for the animals that you work with
- Thoroughness in work
The decision to become a pet groomer offers you several possibilities for career progression. While qualifications are not a requirement to become a groomer, undertaking a course of study will allow you to demonstrate your skills and trustworthiness to potential clients. Many pet groomers chose to start their own businesses, work in mobile pet salons or at a trusted pet salon. Hours can be flexible, particularly for those who are self-employed.