What does a zookeeper do?
- Maintaining feed and water
- Disinfecting cages, cleaning enclosures and sterilising equipment
- Working in breeding programs
- Monitoring animal welfare and wellbeing
- Contributing to public education programs
What skills do I need to be a zookeeper?
- Patient and kind
- Confident around animals of all sizes and species
- Willingness to perform messy tasks
- Enjoy working outdoors, often performing hard labour
Working as a zookeeper provides an opportunity to make a difference to the world by actively participating in wildlife conservation. As such, there are varying study pathways that can take you in the direction you want to go. Below are just some of the areas of specialisation that can stem from a zoo keeping qualification.