What does an optometrist do?
- Perform eye examinations and diagnoses
- Prescribe treatment to clients with eye conditions or vision problems
- Refer clients to specialist care
- Pre- and post-operative care
- Maintain client records
What skills do I need to be an optometrist?
- Understanding of vision science, eye conditions and treatment
- Good people skills
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities
- Detail orientated and precise
- Problem solving abilities
Optometry is a very specialised area of work and therefore there are not a lot of specialisation options available following qualification. Many optometrists do, however, move into full-time sales positions and others become owners or managers of their own practices.