What does an orthodontist do?
- Diagnose dental conditions
- Use dental equipment and X-rays
- Prepare and implement treatment plans
- Liaise with other dental and medical professionals
- Periodically monitor and adjust orthodontic appliances
What skills do I need to be an orthodontist?
- People skills
- Manual dexterity
- Capacity for detailed and precise work
- Thorough understanding of orthodontic technology and procedures
- Keen critical-thinking and decision-making skills
Becoming an orthodontist is already a highly specialised position, and therefore options for further specialisation are limited. Senior orthodontists may move into management roles, however, and others may choose to pursue teaching and academia.