About this course
Studying this online Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care course will equip you with the skills necessary to excel in the childcare industry. Upon completion of this online course you will learn the required knowledge to interact appropriately with children while fulfilling their emotional, physical and self-care needs.
This program will give you a foundation of education and skills for working with children, including early childhood care. You will also be taught the legal and ethical framework for working in children’s services to aid you in identifying and responding to risk factors.
This online course includes mandatory work placement. Workplace assessments and training must be undertaken in workplace organisations that are suitable for the course. There may be instances where you need to undergo a criminal records check or a Working with Children check. You will also need to have completed and hold a current Basic First Aid certificate, issued by an accredited provider.
To be eligible for this course you must:
- Hold a relevant qualification; OR
- Have relevant vocational experience.
While studying this course, you will complete the following units: Core units – complete all
- Work within a relevant legal and ethical framework
- Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- Develop cultural competence
- Work effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- Ensure the health and safety of children
- Provide care for babies and toddlers
- Provide care for children
- Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
- Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
- Analyse information to inform learning
- Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in early childhood
- Nurture creativity in children
- Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour
- Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children
- Design and implement the curriculum to foster children's learning and development
- Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children
- Promote children's agency
- Maintain work health and safety
- Embed sustainable practices in service operations
- Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children
- Facilitate compliance in an education and care service
- Coordinate the work environment
- Develop and implement policy
- Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
Elective units – complete two
- Undertake research activities
- Develop workplace policy and procedures for sustainability
- Comply with family day care administration requirements
- Attend to daily functions in home based child care
- Provide mentoring support to colleagues
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.