About this course
Equip yourself with the advanced animal care skills needed to effectively monitor, interact with and care for a range of captive zoo species with this online Certificate IV in Captive Animals course.
As part of the course you will learn to lead a team, manage enclosures and exhibits, communicate with the public and raise awareness for captive animals. You will also gain an understanding of how to manage nutritional needs, create animal diet plans, review behavioural management strategies and provide enrichment for the captive animals in your care.
Delivered by Open Colleges in partnership with North Coast TAFE, this course combines online study with hands-on experience at an approved captive animal facility.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course, so anyone can apply. An ideal pathway for prospective learners includes:
- Holding a Certificate II in Animal Studies; OR
- Vocational training or work experience across a variety of work settings
In this animal care course, the subjects you will study include:
- Work within a captive animal facility
- Prepare and maintain animal housing
- Assist with capturing, restraining and moving animals
- Maintain and monitor animal health and wellbeing
- Provide enrichment for animals
- Plan for and provide nutritional requirements for animals
- Maintain occupational health and safety processes
- Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices
- Develop animal diets
- Monitor animal reproduction
- Support collection management
- Implement collection management
- Manage enclosures and exhibits
- Prepare and present information to the public
- Conduct community awareness programs
- Develop, monitor and review behavioural management strategies
- Design and evaluate interpretive learning programs
- Communicate effectively as a workplace leader
- Lead effective workplace relationships
- Plan, organise and facilitate learning in the workplace
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.