About this course
Dip your toe in the water of the fitness industry with this Fitness Foundations short course, and decide whether it’s the right career path for you!
Offered by ICM Training and delivered through Open Colleges, this online course covers human anatomy and physiology and their application within the fitness world.
Other topics covered in this short course include health screening and assessing clients, delivering fitness programs, providing healthy eating information, and identifying client needs to develop tailored fitness programs.
Encompassing a practical work placement, this course will give you real-world experience to complement your foundational knowledge, and offers a taste of what it’s like to work in the fitness industry.
To successfully complete this short course, you are required to undertake a minimum of 33 hours of practical work placement in a workplace that provides fitness services.
This work experience component is a mandatory once you have successfully completed modules 1 to 3.
To be eligible for entry into this course, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old; AND
- Have completed Year 10; OR
- Hold a certificate II level qualification, or higher; OR
- Have two years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
In this fitness course, the units of competency you may study include:
- SISXCCS001 – Provide quality service
- SISFFIT001 – Conduct fitness appraisals
- SISFFIT005 – Provide healthy eating information
- SISFFIT004 – Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT003 – Instruct fitness programs
- SISFFIT002 – Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- SISFFIT014 – Instruct exercise to older clients
- HLTAID003 – Provide first aid*
- HLTAID001 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation*
*Must be undertaken at your own cost via an accredited external provider
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.