About this unit
Good communication is as much about understanding what you’re saying, as it is about understanding how your message is being received. And this unit will give you the insight you need to make your messages stick in a professional setting.
Delivered online by Open Universities Australia, in partnership with Griffith University, this unit starts out with an exploration of the theories of contemporary communication and how factors such as our emotional intelligence, diversity and team dynamics influence communication.
In a business scenario, there are accepted structures and styles for formal and informal communication, and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each one will give you greater awareness of how to structure your messages. For example, how long should you speak for in meetings? When is a phone call required or an email sufficient?
You will get the answers you need through practical exercises and be able to apply your knowledge to the task of report writing and mapping your organisation’s communication structure.
Want to know more about life as an OUA student? Listen to Chris’s story.
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Diploma of Journalism, Griffith University
- Certificate of Public Relations, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Commerce (Business Law), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Communication, Griffith University
- Certificate of Arts, Griffith University
- Diploma of Arts, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Behavioural Studies (Psychology), Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Behavioural Studies, Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Business, Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Technology (Information Systems), Swinburne University
- Communication is business
- Leadership, communication and management
- Business and people
- Communication as a process
- Interpersonal communication
- Teams and organisational mapping
- Team dynamics
- Identifying, surveying and mapping in a business context
- Speeches and key business documents
- Oral presentations
- Written communication skills
- Business reports
- Visual design in business writing
- Non-verbal and cross-cultural communication
- Intercultural and cross-cultural communication
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.