About this unit
Hone your capacity for logic and reason with this online Critical Thinking unit from Open Universities Australia and Macquarie University.
By studying this unit you’ll learn how to construct, analyse and critically evaluate arguments, as well as identify common fallacies in reasoning. The unit offers students practical techniques to maximise their critical thinking skills and logical creativity.
In doing so, students will walk away from this unit with the cool-headed logic to engage in debates and strategic thinking across whatever discipline they choose, be it business, law, science, politics or the media.
Equip yourself with an invaluable skill that goes well beyond university. Enquire today!
OUA has done away with traditional semesters to give you the flexibility you need. Find out more.
- Have prior university experience
- Have completed the Academic Learning Skills or Academic Literacies: Learning and Communication Practice unit
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Arts (Librarianship and Corporate Information Management), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Arts (Internet Communications), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Security Studies, Macquarie University
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art and Visual Culture), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Arts (Visual Culture), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Arts, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Arts (Indigenous Studies), University of South Australia
- Introduction – what is critical thinking and why do you need it?
- What are arguments?
- Standardisation and reconstruction of arguments
- Deductive arguments
- Inductive arguments
- Critical thinking and the human mind
- ’Automatic’ thinking and critical reasoning
- The power of language and image
- Fallacies and pseudo-reasoning
- Putting it all together
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.