About this unit
In today’s modern world where the media’s presence can be felt in every aspect of our lives, it’s important for communication professionals and students to understand the complex and evolving ways in which we engage with and connect to media.
This online Engaging Media unit from Open Universities Australia in partnership with Curtin University, is designed to address the various ways in which contemporary audiences consume, manipulate and utilise everyday media.
By understanding the technological advancements and cultural significance of various media, students will gain a better understanding of how media entertains, informs and liberates audiences of today. The unit examines all sorts of media formats, from television and film to news outlets, social media and even video games.
There’s plenty of support on offer for OUA students. Find out more.
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing), Curtin University
- Introduction: how does the media engage you? How do you engage with the media?
- The medium is the message: when media converge?
- Entertain me! Who makes your entertainment? Actors, institutions & participatory culture
- Don't touch that! Copyright, ownership and institutional control
- Entertaining the world: using media across cultural boundaries
- Play with me! Having fun with media
- All the world's a game: virtual worlds, interactivity, convergence
- Inform me! News media
- Networks of information: blogging, citizen journalism and collective intelligence
- Talk to me! Chatting/texting/twittering at each other
- Who's listening? Mass communication in a networked, mobile environment
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.