About this unit
This online Indigenous Australian Education unit is a must for primary school teachers and early childhood educators, particularly those who work in schools with a high Indigenous student population.
Delivered by Open Universities Australia in partnership with Curtin University, the unit is designed to produce culturally sensitive and socially aware teachers who will thrive in Australian Indigenous learning environments.
The unit takes you through the history and culture of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and encourages you to consider how events such as the Stolen Generation have influenced education and learning for these populations.
You will also examine contemporary issues currently facing education for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, and consider the role of education in reconciliation.
With this knowledge under your belt, you will be better equipped to develop proactive learning environments for Indigenous schools, and know how to apply the most effective strategies and interventions in the classroom.
Give your teaching career an edge and enquire about this unit today!
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Education (Primary), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood), Curtin University
- Acknowledgement of country – introduction to unit and background to studies
- Preparation to teach – identity, culture and stereotypes
- Indigenous history – the implications for education
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander contemporary education
- Indigenous terms of reference (ITR)
- History and culture of the Torres Strait Islander
- Contemporary issues – language and communication
- Gifted and talented Indigenous students
- The Stolen Generation – implications for teaching
- Cross-cultural teaching
- Wealth of experience – working with Indigenous teaching assistants
- The role of education in reconciliation
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.