About this unit
The Integrated Marketing Communication unit offered by Swinburne University of Technology through Open Universities Australia, aims to teach you how to use marketing communication to build and sustain brands.
You will study the ins and outs of how marketing communication works, the different institutions which play a part in the process and the basic business practices which are necessary to both achieve, and measure, communication goals.
You will pay special attention to the integrated aspects of communication and be able to develop a full understanding and awareness of advertising, sales, PR, publicity and digital marketing in the current environments.
OUA has done away with traditional semesters to give you the flexibility you need. Find out more.
Applicants must meet the criteria to be eligible to enter this program: You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed the following unit(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- Integrated Marketing Communications
You must have successfully completed one of the following two units before starting this unit:
- MKT10007 — Fundamentals of Marketing
- MKT103 — Introduction to Marketing
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Business, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Arts (Librarianship and Corporate Information Management), Curtin University This unit is part of a major, minor, stream or specialisation in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Behavioural Studies (Psychology), Swinburne University of Technology
- Bachelor of Behavioural Studies, Swinburne University of Technology
- Bachelor of Business, Swinburne University of Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (Information Systems), Swinburne University of Technology This unit is an approved elective in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Arts (Internet Communications), Curtin University
Content may also be relevant to other courses, and could qualify you for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for a course offered by another institution.
In this Marketing unit, the topics you will study include:
- Introduction to integrated marketing communications and communications strategy
- Forms of communication and the communication process
- Who to communicate to and what to communicate: segmentation and objectives
- Industry roles in IMC
- Advertising strategy and planning
- Creative advertising and effective integration
- Where to communicate: media
- Interactive and digital media
- Media strategy, planning and buying
- Other forms of IMC: sales promotion, direct marketing, PR and publicity, sponsorship
- Global campaigns and ethics
- Campaign evaluation and budgets
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.