About this unit
This online Introduction to Public Relations unit presents the theories, practices and history of public relations. Within this communications unit you will learn the major developments in public relation theory while studying the major issues facing the modern professional environment.
This unit, provided by Open Universities Australia in partnership with Griffith University, will teach you the core functions and underlying principles of public relations. You will learn strategies for government, community and media relations.; and be given an overview of how to effectively handle crisis management, sponsorship and event organisation.
Upon completion of this course unit you will be equipped with a ten point plan of public relations practice. Furthermore you will have the confidence to deal with a broad variety of clients and public relations scenarios.
- Introduction to Public Relations
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following course:
- Bachelor of Communication, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Arts, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Behavioural Studies (Psychology), Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Behavioural Studies, Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Business, Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Technology (Information Systems), Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Arts (Librarianship and Corporate Information Management), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Arts (Internet Communications), Curtin University
- The fundamentals of public relations
- Defining public relations
- History and theories of public relations
- Ethics, social responsibility & the law
- Research & evaluation
- Planning, strategy & budgeting
- Tactics, skills & new communication technologies
- Practical application
- Media relations
- Internal and community relations
- Business and government
- Issues and crisis management
- Event management and sponsorship
- Professional considerations – industry structure and expectations
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.