About this unit
This single unit of study provides an introduction to language and its uses in the classroom and beyond. You will learn about the modes and functions of English so that you can apply this knowledge to a number of tasks, from analysing language development in others to developing your own skills in academic writing.
This unit takes you through all the different applications of the English language, including oral language development, the history of language and written and visual texts. You’ll also learn about Indigenous language variations and the importance of language in sociocultural practices. Language operates across diverse contexts, and with this unit behind you, you will be able to assess and then address communication in all kinds of settings from early childhood education to critical research.
Delivered online by Open Universities Australia in partnership with Curtin University, this unit is a core requirement of the Bachelor of Education (Primary) and Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) courses.
- Language and Multiliteracies (5–8 years)
- Literacy Education 1
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Education (Primary), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood), Curtin University
- The importance of studying English language, literacy and literature
- Value of language as integral to dynamic socio cultural practices within communities
- History: diversity and cultural contexts of language
- Oral language development – birth to adult
- Contexts: texts, making meaning and the purposes and functions of language
- Communication: language structures and styles across diverse contexts
- Language as a creative psycho socio-cultural process
- Language in the classroom context
- Indigenous language variation – EAL and EALD
- Texts – how we communicate through many different types including ICT and visual texts
- Introduction to teaching strategies for English
- Overview of curriculum for English
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.