About this unit
Learning Theory for Educators is provided by Curtin University through Open Universities Australia. The unit will give you a solid understanding of key concepts associated with contemporary theoretical perspectives on human learning. You will gain a keen insight into the vital relationship between learning and development, as well as educational psychology.
Upon completion, you will have gained the skills to evaluate a wide range of theories on human learning, based on scientific evidence.
You will also understand and be able to use a range of effective assessment methods, recognising where and how each are appropriate and relevant to different teaching environments.
This unit will also help you develop teaching and learning products for professional use, such as activities, tools and components of lesson plans.
OUA has done away with traditional semesters to give you the flexibility you need. Find out more.
Anyone can apply, although you must ensure you have not completed a previous version of this unit.
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Education (Primary), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood), Curtin University
Content may also be relevant to other courses, and could qualify you for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for a course offered by another institution.
In this Learning Theory unit, the topics you will study include:
- Educational psychology and learning theory: an introduction
- Ecological systems theory
- The relationship between learning and development
- Individual differences in learning
- Behavioural views of learning
- Cognitive views of learning
- Constructivist views of learning
- Humanistic views and student motivation to learn
- Learning theory applied to classroom environments
- Learning theory applied to teach strategies
- Learning theory applied to standardised testing
- Learning theory applied to classroom assessment
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.