About this unit
This online Performing Arts for Educators unit is designed to introduce school teachers to the crucial role that the arts play in a child’s early development and learning experiences.
Delivered by Open Universities Australia in partnership with Curtin University, the unit focuses on the way in which dance, music and drama encourage young children to think creatively, and fosters their self-expression and ability to communicate ideas.
By completing the unit, teachers can expect to develop their arts literacy and presentation skills, enabling them to provide more targeted arts education opportunities to their students.
The unit has been developed to address the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers as well as the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority’s Curriculum. Enquire now and enhance your teaching career today!
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Education (Primary), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood), Curtin University
- Arts as forms of praxis for exploration, creation and expression
- Why are the arts valued in education: Research and rationale
- What are authentic learning experiences in the arts: children's developmental growth and education through arts engagement
- What is meaning-making in the arts: drama literacy – concepts and skills
- Narrative and self-concept: storytelling in drama
- Drama as making and responding
- What is meant by creativity and self-expression: music literacy – concepts and skills
- Singing and its cultural significance – song writing
- Percussion – performing, recording and sharing your song
- Kinaesthetic knowing: dance literacy – concepts and skills
- Dance and diversity: critical review of a dance performance
- Choreographing, performing and reflecting
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.