About this unit
The services industry is one of Australia’s biggest sectors, but in this fickle and fast-paced market it can be hard to come up with innovative services and products for consumers.
To help you stay ahead of the pack, this online unit in Product and Service Innovation Management considers the instrumental role the product manager plays and trains you to conceive new and exciting services ideas.
Delivered online by Open Universities Australia, in partnership with Swinburne University, the unit will take your knowledge of marketing principles and apply them to the critical assessment of new ideas.
The unit focuses on marketing management strategies and will help you to move your ideas from initial inception through to their eventual implementation, providing you with specific objectives to keep you on track along the way.
You will also gain an understanding of product positioning, branding and packaging; whilst learning how to nurture productive relationships with other stakeholders such as those working in research and development professionals and sales.
To be eligible to enrol in this unit, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have completed either the Fundamentals of Marketing or Introduction to Marketing unit
- Have not studied the Product Management unit, as it is considered to be an academic equivalent
This unit is part of a major, minor, stream or specialisation in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Business, Swinburne University of Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (Computing Studies), RMIT University
This unit is an approved elective in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Behavioural Studies (Psychology), Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Behavioural Studies, Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Technology (Information Systems), Swinburne University
Content may also be relevant to other courses, and could qualify you for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for a course offered by another institution.
In this Product and Service Innovation Management unit, the topics you will study include:
- The meaning, importance and function of the product management role in business today
- The impact of product management practices on the development of goods and services based products
- The range of concept-generating techniques used for new product and service development
- The means of evaluating new product and services ideas
- Preparation of a product/service, a product/service launch plan and its importance as a marketing control tool for new products and services
- The importance of product positioning within the target marketing process, branding, packaging and the importance of successful working relationships
- The dimensions and measurements of service quality and customer satisfaction
- International aspects of product and service management
- The importance of successful working relations within the organisation, particularly with sales, production, supply and research and development
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.