About this unit
Sustainability, Ecology and Communities studies the ideologies and implementation strategies of sustainable development. You will gain an understanding of the theories of sustainable development from ecological, social and governmental perspectives.
This unit, provided by Murdoch University and delivered online by Open Universities Australia, discusses the global impacts of development practices at a local and national level.
Upon completion, you will be confident in identifying opportunities for change, and in planning and implementing a range of sustainability practices.
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Arts (Sustainable Development), Murdoch University
- Introduction – visioning a sustainable future
- Systems thinking and resilience
- Applying systems thinking to sustainability
- Sustainability from an ecological perspective
- Sustainability from a social perspective
- Governance for sustainability governance – partnerships and participation
- Governance for sustainability – state government and local government
- Measuring and assessing sustainability
- Critical reflective thinking and practice
- Creating change in organisations
- Creating change in individuals and communities
- Conclusions – leadership and innovation for a sustainable future
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.