About this unit
Develop your mathematical teaching skills with The Numerate Educator unit offered by Curtin University through Open Universities Australia. The first in a series of maths education units, The Numerate Educator focuses on fostering your maths content knowledge and personal numeracy.
You’ll learn how to approach numeracy teaching strategies with confidence. This unit will address any anxieties students may have towards mathematics and its teaching.
Become familiar with mathematical language and learn how to communicate with words, pictures and symbols. You’ll also cover basic statistics, national test data and interpreting research and government documents.
Worried your online qualification won’t be recognised? Think again.
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Education (Primary), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood), Curtin University
- Personal mathematics competency
- Extended personal use of mathematics
- Essential statistics
- NAPLAN: what is it and what does it mean
- Personal numeracy and use of mathematics
- Numeracy in the real world
- Technologies and mathematics
- The Australian curriculum: mathematics
- Mathematical language and terminology
- Mathematics of the human body
- Mathematics – a history
- Exploring mathematics and using it to communicate
- Open forum discussion and the review of the unit outcomes
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.