About this unit
The online Visual and Media Arts Education unit from Open Universities Australia and Curtin University provides the foundation for teachers to develop experiential learning opportunities.
You will learn to use personal media and visual arts literacy as the foundation for teaching arts learning across primary school years.
You will develop a lifelong learning framework, arts literacy and capability through personal investment in visual and media arts praxis, reflection and appreciation.
You will also be able to create programs of sequential lessons that reflect an understanding of child development, curriculum and arts pedagogy and the ethos of sustainable, safe, functional, ethical, inclusive and culturally sensitive learning contexts.
Want to know more about life as an OUA student? Listen to Leigh's story.
To be eligible for this unit, you must have successfully completed the following unit:
- Performing Arts for Educators
To enrol in Visual and Media Arts Education, you must be accepted into the following course:
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
This unit is a core requirement in the following course:
- Bachelor of Education (Primary), Curtin University
Content may also be relevant to other courses, and could qualify you for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for a course offered by another institution.
In this Visual and Media Arts Education unit, the topics you will study include:
- Introduction. Context of arts education - Arts education. Arts literacy
- The learning context. Children’s developmental growth. Visual arts skills and pedagogy
- Visual arts skills and pedagogy. Visual arts learning explorations of 2D media. Reflective thinking and critical review of creative work
- Visual arts skills and pedagogy. Visual arts learning explorations of 3D media. Integrated learning
- Visual arts skills and pedagogy. Responding to an artwork/artist’s work (arts appreciation)
- Reflective teaching for planning
- Planning inquiry-based learning experiences
- Assessment: Micro teaching (including peer assessment)
- The Internet and digital resources. Media arts skills and pedagogy
- Media arts skills and pedagogy. Participate in media arts project and create a Visual Arts WebQuest Portfolio
- Media arts skills and pedagogy. Participate in media arts project
- Partnerships. Arts as culture. Review of unit
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.