About this unit
Expand your understanding of how youths experience criminal and social justice in this online unit delivered by Open Universities Australia, in partnership with Griffith University.
The unit of study explores various links between the historical, sociological and criminological elements of youth justice, including the ways in which each has shifted over time.
You’ll learn how to work effectively with young people within the field of criminal justice, focusing on the professional and interpersonal skills required to provide advocacy and support for this group.
Complete this unit with a comprehensive understanding of young people as both victims and perpetrators of crime, and the ways in which legislation, agency work and evaluation programs can be used to help minimise risk and achieve better outcomes for youth justice.
Worried about the cost of study? OUA can help.
Course pathwaysThis unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Griffith University
- Setting the scene for youth justice: how do we ‘value’ young people? How do we respond to troubled and troublesome young people?
- Criminological explanations of youth offending
- Advocacy and working with young people
- Young women in the youth justice system
- Indigenous young people in the youth justice system
- Researching young people
- Policing youth
- Young people and public space
- Youth justice: legislation and the court system
- Diversion, sentencing and restorative approaches
- Crime prevention and program evaluation
- Children and young people as victims and crime
- International conventions obligations
Why Open Universities Australia?
For two decades, Open Universities Australia (OUA) has partnered with leading Australian educators to make tertiary-level courses easier to access for people, no matter their background, their work status or their other life commitments. OUA has built up their reputation by making education more flexible, easier to tailor and available almost entirely online.
OUA's devotion to online education remains to this day, but where they once focused on higher education, today they offer the broadest set of post-secondary education and training programs in Australia.
Open Universities Australia offers a range of administrative and student support options. As a student of OUA you will have access to four hours of free expert tutoring support for each unit undertaken through the tutoring service SMARTHINKING. This on-demand service allows you to get fast, detailed feedback on your assignment drafts and gives you access to your tutor in real time.
The My OUA portal is an online student medium that allows you access to all your course and enrolment information as well as access to student forums and assessment tips.