About this course
This Certificate II in Building and Construction (Carpentry) Pre-apprenticeship (22216VIC) from The Gordon can provide you with the skills to make you a more well-rounded apprenticeship candidate.
The course will teach you essential building and construction industry skills, and is divided into two parts.
Part 1: The core units and primary skills of the Certificate II in Building and Construction.
Part 2: Training in basic carpentry skills necessary for this apprenticeship.
The Gordon also offers pre-apprenticeship courses in bricklaying, and painting and decorating.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Team projects
Apprentice of the Year nominee, Nicholas, talks about studying carpentry with The Gordon
In order to apply for admission into this course, you must:
- Be aged 16 or over
- Have Year 10 language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills – evaluated during week one of the course
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this carpentry course, the units of competency you may study include: Core
- VU20956 - Building structures
- VU20957 - Calculations for the construction industry
- VU20971 - Carpentry hand tools
- VU20959 - Communication skills for the construction industry
- VU20960 - Introduction to scaffolding and working platforms
- VU20958 - Prepare for work in the construction industry
- HLTFA211A - Provide basic emergency life support
- VU20962 - Quality principles for the construction industry
- VU20963 - Safe handling and use of plant and selected portable power tools
- CPCCOHS1001A - Work safely in the construction industry
- VU20964 - Workplace documents and plans
- VU20955 - Workplace safety and site induction
- VU20982 - Basic environmental sustainability
- VU20973 - Basic setting out
- VU20972 - Carpentry power tools
- VU20977 - External cladding
- VU20981 - Formwork for concreting
- VU20978 - Installation of window and door frames
- VU20979 - Interior fixings
- VU20980 - Introduction to demolition
- VU20976 - Roof framing
- VU20974 - Sub-floor framing
- VU20975 - Wall framing
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: