About this course
Delivered by The Gordon, this Certificate II in General Education for Adults “Youth” (22237VIC) TAFE course is an ideal equivalent to Year 10 for anyone looking to study outside of the school environment.
Study at the Geelong campus and gain formal credentials for your reading, writing, mathematics and general education skills. As a student of The Gordon, you will cover a range of topics including engaging with and creating texts, investigating numerical and statistical information, communicating in the workplace and searching on the internet.
Once you apply for this course, your general education skills will be assessed to match you with a corresponding course that’s right for your skillset.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Oral presentations and problem solving
Reach your potential with The Gordon!
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Applicants must be a minimum of 15 years of age
- Applicants must attend a compulsory information session
- Applicants must sit a literacy and numeracy assessment
- An interview may be required
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this general education course, the units of competency you may study include:
- VU21360 – Create a range of complex texts for learning purposes
- VU21359 – Create a range of complex texts for personal purposes
- VU21356 – Engage with a range of complex texts for learning purposes
- VU21354 – Implement and review a project
- VU21363 – Investigate and interpret shapes and measurements and related formulae in a range of contexts
- VU21364 – Investigate numerical and statistical information in a range of contexts
- VU21353 – Research pathways and produce a learning plan and portfolio
- BSBCMM201A – Communicate in the workplace
- VU21369 – Investigate Indigenous history
- ICAICT103A – Use communicate and search securely on the internet
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: