About this course
If you’re looking to ready yourself for further study, training or employment, this Certificate II in General Education for Adults (22237VIC) TAFE course will validate your skills in reading, writing and mathematics.
Delivered at The Gordon’s Geelong campus, this general education course will take you through a range of subjects, including using simple mathematical formulae and problem solving, producing Word documents, searching on the internet, and investigating features of Australian culture.
This course will give you some exposure to both personal and professional development units to give you skills applicable to further study, the workplace or everyday life.
All applicants looking to study a Certificate in General Education for Adults (CGEA) course through The Gordon will need to undertake an initial assessment to match them with the appropriate course level.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Oral presentations and problem solving
Check out the inspiring stories from students at The Gordon – if you can dream it, you can do it!
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Applicants must be aged 17 years or older
- Applicants must undertake an initial assessment to determine the appropriate course level
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this general education for adults course, the units of competency you may study include:
- VU21359 – Create a range of complex texts for personal purposes
- VU21362 – Create a range of complex texts to participate in the community
- VU21356 – Engage with a range of complex texts for learning purposes
- VU21355 – Engage with a range of complex texts for personal purposes
- VU21358 – Engage with a range of complex texts to participate in the community
- VU21354 – Implement and review a project
- VU21363 – Investigate and interpret shapes and measurements and related formulae in a range of contexts
- VU21365 – Investigate and use simple mathematical formulae and problem solving techniques in a range of contexts
- VU21370 – Investigate features of Australian culture
- VU21364 – Investigate numerical and statistical information in a range of contexts
- BSBITU201A – Produce simple Word processed documents
- VU21353 – Research pathways and produce a learning plan and portfolio
- ICAICT103A – Use communicate and search securely on the internet
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: