About this course
Build a solid skill set in business administration with a specialised focus on the medical office environment with a Certificate III in Business Administration (Medical) (BSB31115).
Delivered on campus by The Gordon, this TAFE course provides a fundamental knowledge of operational procedures such as handling patient records, using medical terminology, accounts, business administration, customer relationships and computer skills.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Written assignments
- Team projects
You may choose to undertake this course as a traineeship. In this format, you work in the industry to acquire your skills on-the-job with your employer, with support from The Gordon’s trainers and assessors. A traineeship may take up to two years.
Nominee for Most Outstanding Diploma Student, Francoise, talks about studying childcare at The Gordon.
In order to apply for admission into this course, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills to at least Year 10 level. Note: if you cannot read and write documents and complete maths work to the level required you may be accepted into the course, but you may be enrolled in additional subjects to help you build the skills needed to successfully complete the program
- Be referred through an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network Provider (for traineeship applicants only)
- Attend a compulsory information session
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this business administration course, the units of competency you may study include:
- BSBMED305 - Apply the principles of confidentiality privacy and security within the medical environment
- BSBMED304 - Assist in controlling stocks and supplies
- BSBWHS201 - Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- BSBITU302 - Create electronic presentations
- BSBCUS301 - Deliver and monitor a service to customers
- BSBITU306 - Design and produce business documents
- BSBITU303 - Design and produce text documents
- BSBITU307 - Develop keyboarding speed and accuracy
- BSBMED301 - Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- BSBMED401 - Manage patient record-keeping system
- BSBADM405 - Organise meetings
- BSBADM307 - Organise schedules
- BSBINM301 - Organise workplace information
- BSBMED302 - Prepare and process medical accounts
- BSBFIA303 - Process accounts payable and receivable
- BSBITU304 - Produce spreadsheets
- BSBWRT301 - Write simple documents
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: