About this course
An entry-level course offering training in the basics of beauty, the Certificate III in Beauty Services (SHB30115) from The Gordon is the perfect springboard to start your career with confidence.
Offering hands-on training in a range of popular beauty therapy services including nails, waxing, spray-tanning, lashes and brows, and basic make-up, this on-campus TAFE course equips you with essential skills and knowledge.
You will also learn about workplace safety requirements, hygiene requirements, customer service and organisational skills to round out your understanding of the industry.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Team projects
Beauty therapy student, Sally, talks about her experience at The Gordon!
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Be aged 17 or over
- Have an appropriate level of language, literacy and numeracy skills (evaluated prior to course intake)
- Have basic computer skills
- Attend a compulsory information session
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this beauty therapy course, the units of competency you may study include:
- SHBBCCS001 - Advise on beauty products and services
- SHBBBOS001 - Apply cosmetic tanning products
- SHBXWHS001 - Apply safe hygiene health and work practices
- SHBXIND001 - Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment
- SHBXCCS001 - Conduct salon financial transactions
- SHBBMUP002 - Design and apply make-up
- SHBBFAS001 - Provide lash and brow services
- SHBBNLS001 - Provide manicure and pedicure services
- SHBXCCS002 - Provide salon services to clients
- SHBBHRS001 - Provide waxing services
- SHBBRES001 - Research and apply beauty industry information
- SHBBMUP001 - Apply eyelash extensions
- SHBBMUP003 - Design and apply make-up for photography
- SHBBSKS001 - Pierce ear lobes
- SHBBHRS002 - Provide female intimate waxing services
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: