About this course
Would you like to spend your days baking cakes and pastries that make people happy? Then this Certificate III in Retail Baking – Cake and Pastry (FDF30510) at The Gordon TAFE will take your culinary career to the next stage.
You must already be working as a baking apprentice in an environment such as a cake shop, patisserie or bakery in order to enrol in this course.
This is a trade-level qualification that will teach you up-to-the-minute procedures for baking cakes and pastries in a commercial setting. You will also learn food health and safety techniques.
Your training will occur in your existing workplace with ongoing support from a Gordon trainer and assessor.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed in a baking environment and referred by their employer through an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network Provider
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this baking course, the units of competency you may study include:
- FDFRB3007A – Bake pastry products
- FDFRB3006A – Bake sponges cakes and cookies
- FDFOHS3001A – Contribute to OHS processes
- FDFRB3004A – Decorate cakes and cookies
- FDFRB3012A – Diagnose and respond to product and process faults (pastry cake and cookies)
- FDFRB2001A – Form and fill pastry products
- FDFFS2001A – Implement the food safety program and procedures
- MSAENV272B – Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- FDFRB3017A – Participate in product development
- FDFRB2002A – Prepare fillings
- FDFRB3001A – Produce pastry
- FDFRB3003A – Produce sponge cake and cookie batter
- FDFOP2064A – Provide and apply workplace information
- FDFOP2061A – Use numerical applications in the workplace
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.