About this course
Take your sports turf career to the next level with a Certificate III in Sports Turf Management (AHC31310) from The Gordon. This course can be taken as an apprenticeship over three years, or if you already have at least two years industry experience, part-time on campus over 18 months.
Core subjects cover turf construction and establishment, weed control, pest and disease control, maintenance (such as plant nutrition and irrigation), and a range of skills necessary for the job, including machinery operation, plant information and renovation. You will also have the opportunity to choose electives relating to chemical storage, handling, transport and application, and soil sampling.
This nationally recognised TAFE course prepares you for further study in the Diploma of Sports Turf Management (AHC51010) and employment on a range of turf facilities.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
Find out what it’s like to study at The Gordon!
To be eligible for this course, you must meet the following entry requirements:
- If you are applying for the two-year program, you must have been employed in the industry for a minimum of two years. You will be required to outline your previous and current industry experience, and provide referees who can verify this information.
- If you are an apprenticeship or traineeship applicant, you must be currently employed under a training contract and provide an employer referral through an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network Provider.
- You will need to undertake a pre-training review to determine your current skills and literacy and numeracy abilities.
In this sports turf management course, the units of competency you may study include:
- AHCTRF301A – Construct turf playing surfaces
- AHCOHS301A - Contribute to OHS processes
- AHCPMG302A - Control plant pests diseases and disorders
- AHCPMG301A - Control weeds
- AHCTRF302A - Establish turf
- AHCTRF303A - Implement a grassed area maintenance program
- AHCPCM301A- Implement a plant nutrition program
- AHCWRK313A - Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work
- AHCIRG302A - Install irrigation systems
- AHCMOM304A - Operate machinery and equipment
- AHCPCM302A - Provide information on plants and their culture
- AHCTRF305A - Renovate sports turf
- AHCCHM303A - Prepare and apply chemicals
- AHCSOL401A - Sample soils and interpret results
- AHCCHM304A - Transport handle and store chemicals
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: