About this course
Giving you a dual qualification in a growing Australian industry, this Certificate III in Tourism (SIT30112) and Certificate III in Hospitality (SIT30713) on-campus course will equip you with the skills and knowledge for success.
Attending classes three days a week at The Gordon TAFE’s Geelong campus, you’ll undergo hands-on training in food and beverage service, customer service skills and front-of-house skills.
This well-rounded training will allow you more flexible employment options within the industry, and you’ll be equipped to take on a broad range of roles in various tourism industry outlets, hotels and restaurants.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Industry placement
- Team projects
Reach your career potential with The Gordon!
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Must have language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills to at least Year 10 level
- Must attend a compulsory information session and interview prior to selection
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this tourism and hospitality course, the units of competency you may study include:
- SITXWHS101 - Participate in safe work practices
- SITXCCS303 - Provide service to customers
- SITXCOM201 - Show social and cultural sensitivity
- SITTIND201 - Source and use information on the tourism and travel industry
- SITTTSL202 - Access and interpret product information
- SITHFAB101 - Clean and tidy bar areas
- SITXHRM301 - Coach others in job skills
- SITXWHS301 - Identify hazards assess and control safety risks
- SITHFAB202 - Operate a bar
- SITTTSL201 - Operate an online information system
- SITHFAB204 - Prepare and serve espresso coffee
- SITHACS303 - Provide accommodation reception services
- SITTTSL302 - Provide advice on Australian destinations
- SITTTSL301 - Provide advice on international destinations
- SITHFAB201 - Provide responsible service of alcohol
- SITHFAB307 - Provide table service of food and beverage
- SITHIND201 - Source and use information on the hospitality industry
- SITXFSA101 - Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITHIND301 - Work effectively in hospitality service
- BSBWOR203B - Work effectively with others
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: