About this course
This on-campus Certificate IV in Automotive Mechanical Diagnosis (AUR40212) will equip you to work with hybrid electric and battery electric vehicles.
You will learn how to service, diagnose and repair a range of technical issues affecting batteries, electrical circuits, electrical components, and heating and cooling systems.
The course will also equip you with advanced diagnostic and technical skills such as the ability to identify complex system faults.
This is a post-trade course for those who wish to advance their skills in the automotive retail, or service and repair sector.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Team projects
Find out what it’s like to study at The Gordon!
In order to apply for admission into this course, you must:
- Have completed the Certificate III in Automotive Mechanical Technology (AUR30405) or an equivalent trade qualification in motor mechanics
- Demonstrate that you possess the appropriate level of language, literacy and numeracy skills through an evaluation process
- Be aged 16 or over
- Attend an interview and demonstrate genuine interest in the course
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this Certificate IV in Automotive Mechanical Diagnosis (AUR40212) course, the units of competency you may study include:
- AURTTA4021 - Carry out diagnosis of complex system faults
- AURETH4011 - Deactivate and reinitialise power supply in hybrid electric vehicles
- AURETH3001 - Depower battery electric vehicles
- AURETH4009 - Diagnose and repair DC to DC converters in battery electric vehicles
- AURETH4008 - Diagnose and repair high voltage cabin heating and cooling systems in battery electric vehicles
- AURETR3032 - Repair electrical systems
- AURETH3002 - Service and maintain battery electric vehicles
- AURETH4012 - Service and maintain electrical components in hybrid electric vehicles
- AURETR2012 - Test and repair basic electrical circuits
- AURETR3025 - Test charge and replace batteries
- AURETH4010 - Test high voltage batteries in hybrid electric vehicles
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: