About this course
If a career in the financial services sector is appealing to you, a Certificate IV in Accounting (FNS40615) is an excellent way to build fundamental accounting skills and a sound knowledge of the industry.
Delivered on campus by The Gordon, you’ll learn how to complete basic accounting duties such as preparing BAS statements, operational reporting, preparing budgets, recording and reporting expenses and other general administrative tasks.
This TAFE course also meets the current minimum educational requirements to register with the Tax Practitioner’s Board.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Written assignments
- Team projects
Check out student stories from The Gordon – if you can dream it, you can do it!
In order to apply for entry into this course, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills to at least Year 10 level. Note: If you cannot read and write documents and complete maths work to the level required you may be accepted into the course, but you may be enrolled in additional subjects to help you build the skills needed to successfully complete the program.
- Attend a compulsory information session
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this accounting course, the units of competency you may study include:
- FNSACC302 - Administer subsidiary accounts and ledgers
- FNSINC401 - Apply principles of professional practice to work in the financial services industry
- FNSBKG404 - Carry out business activity and instalment activity statement tasks
- BSBITU306 - Design and produce business documents
- FNSBKG405 - Establish and maintain a payroll system
- BSBFIA401 - Prepare financial reports
- FNSACC404 - Prepare financial statements for non-reporting entities
- FNSACC402 - Prepare operational budgets
- FNSACC301 - Process financial transactions and extract interim reports
- FNSACC406 - Set up and operate a computerised accounting system
- BSBITU402 - Develop and use complex spreadsheets
- FNSACC503 - Manage budgets and forecasts
- FNSACC407 - Produce job costing information
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: