About this course
Gain entry into the specialist field of computer networking and security with the Certificate IV in Information Technology Networking (ICT40415) TAFE course from The Gordon.
The course incorporates the Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology (ICT30115) as the first six months of study.
Classes are delivered on campus and cover a range of topics including the design, installation and maintenance of local area networks, wireless networking, server software and network administration.
The Gordon maintains strong industry partnerships with key IT vendors including CISCO Networking Academy and Microsoft Imagine Academy.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Team projects
Reach your career potential with The Gordon!
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Have language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills to Year 11 level or above, or be willing to enrol in additional subjects to build these skills
- Attend an interview
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this networking systems course, the units of competency you may study include:
- ICTICT418 - Contribute to copyright ethics and privacy in an ICT environment
- ICTICT401 - Determine and confirm client business requirements
- ICTNWK402 - Install and configure virtual machines for sustainable ICT
- ICTNWK401 - Install and manage a server
- ICTTEN4198A - Install, configure and test an internet protocol network
- ICTNWK404 - Install, operate and troubleshoot a small enterprise branch network
- ICTNWK403 - Manage network and data integrity
- BSBWHS304 - Participate effectively in WHS communication and consultation processes
- ICTICT403 - Apply software development methodologies
- BSBCRT401 - Articulate present and debate ideas
- ICTNWK405 - Build a small wireless local area network
- ICTNWK408 - Configure a desktop environment
- ICTNWK412 - Create network documentation
- ICTNWK409 - Create scripts for networking
- ICTICT408 - Create technical documentation
- ICTNWK411 - Deploy software to networked computers
- ICTTEN4211A - Design, install and configure an internetwork
- BSBWOR404 - Develop work priorities
- ICTNWK419 - Identify and use current virtualisation technologies
- ICTICT417 - Identify, evaluate and apply current industry specific technologies to meet industry standards
- ICTTEN4210A - Implement and troubleshoot enterprise routers and switches
- ICTNWK407 - Install and configure client-server applications and services
- ICTTEN4202A - Install and test a radio frequency identification system
- ICTSUS4185A - Install and test power management software
- ICTSUS4184A - Install and test power saving hardware
- ICTSUS4183A - Install and test renewable energy system for ICT networks
- ICTTEN5200A - Install, configure and test a local area network switch
- ICTTEN4199A - Install, configure and test a router
- ICTNWK406 - Install, configure and test network security
- ICTNWK410 - Install hardware to a network
- ICTSUS4186A - Install thin client applications for power over ethernet
- ICTSAS426 - Locate and troubleshoot ICT equipment system and software faults
- ICTICT423 - Select cloud storage strategies
- ICTPMG401 - Support small scale ICT projects
- ICTOPN4116A - Use advanced optical test equipment
- ICTPRG425 - Use structured query language
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: