About this course
Building on your previous animal studies experience, the Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing (ACM40412) course at The Gordon takes you directly into clinical practice settings. Studying on campus and attending work placements, you’ll gain all the necessary practical skills and technical knowledge you need for a vet nursing career.
You’ll learn about pathology, radiography, surgery assistance and theatre preparation and dental care. You’ll also be introduced to other essential duties such as working on reception and communicating effectively with colleagues. Areas such as infection control practices and other health and safety matters are part of your TAFE key learning areas.
You can choose to study on campus full-time, or work in the industry and learn on the job with support from The Gordon trainers and assessors.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Possess an appropriate level of language, literacy and numeracy skills, which will be assessed prior to course intake
- Preferably hold Certificate II or III in Animal Studies, although equivalent animal care skills and experience will also be considered
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and be referred by their employer through an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network Provider
- Attend an interview and compulsory information session, at which you should provide details about your prior relevant study and/or industry work experience (preference will be given to those currently employed or volunteering at a veterinary clinic)
- Sit a literacy and numeracy assessment at the information session
- Possess demonstrated interest in the field
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this veterinary care course, the units of competency you may study include:
- ACMVET402A – Apply imaging routines
- ACMGAS205A – Assist in health care of animals
- ACMVET203A – Assist with surgery preparation
- ACMVET202A – Carry out daily clinic routines
- ACMVET407A – Carry out medical nursing routines
- ACMVET405A – Carry out surgical nursing routines
- ACMVET410A – Carry out veterinary dental nursing procedures
- ACMVET201A – Carry out veterinary nursing reception duties
- ACMINF301A – Comply with infection control policies and procedures in animal work
- ACMWHS301A – Contribute to workplace health and safety processes
- ACMVET408A – Coordinate and perform theatre routines
- ACMVET401A – Coordinate patient admission and discharge
- ACMGAS204A – Feed and water animals
- ACMVET406A – Nurse animals
- ACMGAS202A – Participate in workplace communications
- ACMVET404A – Perform clinic office procedures
- ACMVET403A – Perform clinic pathology procedures
- ACMVET409A – Provide specific animal care advice
- ACMGAS208A – Source information for animal care needs
- ACMGAS304A – Carry out simple breeding procedures
- ACMCAS410A – Conduct companion animal training classes
- ACMVET412A – Coordinate clinic promotional activities
- ACMMIC401A – Implant microchip in cats and dogs
- ACMSPE303A – Provide basic care of common native mammals
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: