About this course
If you’re looking to make the successful transition into the workforce and need an extra boost to help you excel, then the Certificate I in Work Education (22302VIC) could be your passport for success!
Delivered on campus in Geelong through The Gordon, this certificate is ideal for secondary students with special learning needs who would like to make the leap into employment.
Run in conjunction with the Certificate I in Transition Education (22301VIC), this TAFE course provides crucial knowledge that will enable you to communicate within the workforce, develop your personal management skills and contribute to the health and safety of others.
You’ll also learn how to look for jobs, work with numbers and handle personal finances.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Industry placement
- Team projects
- Oral presentations and problem-solving
Find out what it’s like to study at The Gordon!
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Be a minimum of 15 years of age
- Have special learning needs
- Demonstrate the desire and motivation to pursue work
- Have family support for participation in the course and workforce entry
- Attend an interview
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
- BSBWHS201 – Contribute to the health and safety of self and others
- VU21771 – Develop an individual vocational plan with support
- VU21775 – Develop interpersonal communication skills for the workplace
- VU21772 – Develop personal management skills for work
- VU21774 – Participate in practical placement with support
- VU21773 – Participate in vocational activities
- VU21664 – Prepare for employment
- VU21666 – Participate in job seeking activities
- VU21311 – Work with and interpret simple numerical information in familiar texts
- VU21307 – Work with numbers and money in simple familiar situations
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: