About this course
Work towards your educational and career goals with this VCAL – Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (Foundation) (VCALFND001) course from The Gordon TAFE.
The VCAL (Foundation) course covers basic literacy and numeracy skills in conjunction with Work Related Skills (WRS), Personal Development Skills (PDS) and General Education units. The course also offers vocational ‘taster’ units and manufacturing technology CAD (Computer Aided Design) to help you find a career path that suits your interests.
Delivered at The Gordon’s East Geelong campus, the course runs over 6 months.
Assessment will take the form of:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Team projects
Reach your career potential with The Gordon!
To be eligible for this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Aged 16 or over
- Have basic computer skills
- Have attempted or completed Year 10, or have achieved Certificate I or II in General Education for Adults
- Attend a compulsory information session and/or interview, and demonstrate a genuine interest in the course
- Provide a folio and/or resume
- Meet literacy and numeracy requirements
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) may be available for skills and knowledge obtained through previous study or other relevant experience.
In this VCAL course, the units of competency you may study include:
- MEM16008A - Interact with computing technology
- LIT012 - Literacy skills foundation oral communication
- LIT011 - Literacy skills foundation reading and writing
- NUM011 - Numeracy skills foundation
- MEM16006A - Organise and communicate information
- PDS011 - Personal development skills foundation unit 1
- PDS012 - Personal development skills foundation unit 2
- CUVCRS04B - Produce technical drawings
- CPCCCM2001A - Read and interpret plans and specifications
- MEM30001A - Use computer aided drafting systems to produce basic engineering drawings
- WRS011 - Work related skills foundation unit 1
- WRS012 - Work related skills foundation unit 2
Why The Gordon?
The Gordon is an award-winning TAFE that has been providing high-quality education and training for over 125 years. As one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria, it services more than 19,000 students each year. Thanks to three purpose-built campuses – in Geelong City, East Geelong, and in Werribee – students are provided with a hands-on learning experience in settings modelled on real-world industry environments. The Gordon also boasts one of the most comprehensive and diverse course ranges in all of Western Victoria, with over 230 accredited qualifications to choose from. Students receive the added benefit of access to The Gordon’s pathway program, which provides articulation and credit transfer opportunities at Deakin University.
East Geelong – 2 Fenwick St, Geelong VIC 3220
Geelong City – Boundary Rd, East Geelong VIC 3219
Werribee Learning Centre – 9 Bridge St, Werribee VIC 3030
The Gordon offers its students access to an array of support services, including academic resources and on-site facilities to help make your time on campus happy, healthy and supportive.
The Gordon Library and study support team is on hand to provide personalised assistance with everything from essay writing to note-taking, and also includes an English as an Additional Language (EAL) program for non-native English speakers. Tailored services are also available via the Aboriginal Education Unit and Disability Support Services offices. Career guidance can be sought from the Careers team at any time, and for anyone struggling with personal hardship, a free and confidential counselling service is available at both the Geelong City campus and East campus.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: