What does Beauty Therapist mean?
A Beauty Therapist is trained in therapeutic facial and body care and has an in-depth understanding of massage, skin chemistry and cosmetic processes. Using this knowledge they customise and perform a wide range of non-medical remedies to meet their clients’ needs; providing skin and hair care, makeup application and advice, and relaxation treatments.
Beauty Therapists use a wide variety of products and techniques, like tanning products, hot wax and electrolysis, and must be skilled in their proper usage in order to safely carry out these treatments. They can also provide other cosmetic services like hair colouring, extensions and perms, as well as recommending and providing products for maintenance and after-care. While able to provide therapies to alleviate particular problems such as eczema or acne, Beauty Therapists are not trained to diagnose these conditions.
Typically working in a spa or salon and reporting to a manager, many Beauty Therapists elect to specialise in one distinct treatment, like hair removal or relaxation therapy. In these cases, they will often be working alongside other specialists such as nail technicians, makeup artists and massage therapists.
What is a Beauty Therapist's role?
- Analysing and assessing client needs and consulting on skin, hair and body care procedures.
- Applying general and corrective makeup and providing instruction on application techniques.
- Administering pedicures and manicures.
- Performing massage and other therapies including spa treatments, aromatherapy and reflexology.
- Carrying out electrolysis, waxing and laser hair removal.
- Managing appointments, financial transactions and client records.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of new and emerging beauty products and techniques.
- Recommending and selling cosmetic hair and skin-care products.
Fast Facts - Beauty Therapist
- Average Age: 32
- Male Share: 1.40%
- Full-Time Share: 49.50%
- Average Hours: 36.3 hours per week
- Level of Study: A Certificate II or III
- Average Salary: $650 per week Before Tax
- Unemployment Levels: average
- 2015 Employment Numbers: 35,400
- Projected Growth: very strong
- 2020 Employment Numbers: 45,500