What does a midwife do?
- Creating healthcare plans for pregnant women and newborns
- Arranging medical and imaging consultations
- Supporting women during labour and delivery
- Educating women and their families on a range of issues relevant to pregnancy, labour, delivery and post-birth
What skills do I need to be a midwife?
- Comprehensive understanding of pregnancy and birth
- Capacity to handle stress and work well under pressure
- Good people skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities
Midwives may find over time that there are particular aspects of midwifery and healthcare that they wish to focus on and dedicate their time to working in specifically. Some options include becoming a midwifery educator, a community midwife, and taking on healthcare management roles.