What does a special education teacher do?
- Adapt the curriculum to students’ needs
- Teach basic health, hygiene and safety tasks
- Promote a safe and calm environment
- Assist students with their physical needs in addition to teaching
- Advocate for the special needs services and students within the school
What skills do I need to be a special education teacher?
- Highly motivated and motivating
- Organised and observant
- Sensitive when dealing with students and their families
- Able to communicate simply and clearly
As they progress in their careers, special education teachers may wish to focus on a specific specialisation or pursue senior positions.