In a nutshell
Preparing you for professional employment in the fitness industry, this Bachelor of Health Science (Fitness) course goes far beyond basic fitness training and provides a broad understanding of human body systems, physiology and anatomy and the role of exercise, nutrition and lifestyle factors in maintaining optimal health.
You will become familiar with health promotional strategies, motivational techniques and be trained to create tailored nutritional and exercise recommendations for diverse groups. This qualification also includes important information for those wishing to start or manage a small business enterprise in the fitness industry.
Delivered on campus (with selected subjects available online) at ACPE, you will have access to state-of-the-art facilities and experienced teachers. Practical learning is undertaken in the laboratory, gym and in the field, providing students with exposure to the latest technology and equipment.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to enrol in this course, applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have completed the NSW HSC with minimum average of 60 (calculated from the highest 6 units completed) or equivalent; OR
- Hold a qualification from a recognised higher education provider; OR
- Hold an associate diploma or higher from a recognised VET provider; OR
- Have completed at least one year full-time or equivalent in a degree from an Australian university; OR
- Satisfy entry requirements specified under formal articulation agreements as determined by the ACPE academic board; OR
- A recognised overseas qualification with demonstrated proficiency in English; OR
- Demonstration of good selection prospects as a student (for example, relevant work experience and motivation to study), and ineligibility to compete for admission based on the academic achievement criteria above.
In this health science course, the subjects you will study include:
- Understanding health
- Application of maths and statistics for health and sport
- Fitness principles and programming
- Musculoskeletal anatomy and physiology
- Systems anatomy and physiology
- Applied exercise physiology
- Introduction to responsible fitness management
- Strength and conditioning
- Principles of health promotion
- Exercise prescription throughout the lifespan
- Small business management principles
- Professional integrity
- Human pathophysiology and pharmacology
- Functional Anatomy
- Research design and epidemiology
- Health, lifestyle disease and exercise prescription
- Health and physical assessment
- Exercise and social development through the lifespan
Why Australian College of Physical Education?
The Australian College of Physical Education (ACPE) is one of Australia’s leading education providers when it comes to all things sports management, applied fitness, dance and physical education. Students here will graduate with the training to work as fitness professionals as well as the knowledge to manage their own businesses.
ACPE is one of the oldest higher education providers in NSW, providing a premier learning experience for over 100 years. By gaining your qualification at ACPE, you will receive a nationally recognised credential and have access to world-class athletic facilities and training that draws in students from all over the globe.
A key value for the team at the Australian College of Physical Education (ACPE) is to ensure their staff and students are well supported and are encouraged to develop both personally and professionally.
ACPE has a Student Learning Services (SLS) resource centre which is a student’s hub for all things relating to academic skills and success throughout their studies. Students also have access to SMARTTHINKING - an online service that gives students 24-hour access to academic tutors and resources.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: