About this course
Kickstart your career in the fitness industry with this Certificate III in Fitness (Gym Instructor) (SIS30315) course! The course is designed to give you experience designing and delivering targeted fitness training to a wide range of clients.
With 30 hours of practical face-to-face training with an Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT) expert mentor or approved alternative mentor, you will gain professional skills to become familiar with gym equipment and class instruction techniques.
This course also includes online theory components to be completed in tandem with your practical training, ensuring you understand the basics of anatomy and physiology, healthy eating trends and motivational strategies to get the best results for your clients in their fitness journey.
Practical work placement
To successfully complete this course, you must undertake a total of 30 hours of practical work experience with a mentor in order to gain real-world skills. AIPT will pair you with one of their expert mentors – a fitness professional – in their gym or fitness studio. Alternatively, you will have the opportunity to select your own AIPT-approved mentor.
There are no educational prerequisites for entry into this course however, in order to complete the practical component of the course, applicants must hold a current Working With Children Check.
In this fitness course, the units of competency you may study include:
- HLTAID003 - Provide first aid*
- SISFFIT004 - Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT001 - Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- SISFFIT006 - Conduct fitness appraisals
- SISFFIT005 - Provide healthy eating information
- SISXCCS001 - Provide quality service
- SISXFAC001 - Maintain equipment for activities
- SISXIND001 - Work effectively in sport, fitness and recreation environments
- SISFFIT003 - Instruct fitness programs
- SISFFIT002 - Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- SISFFIT014 - Instruct exercise to older clients
- SISFFIT012 - Instruct movement programs to children aged 5 to 12 years
- HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- BSBRSK401 - Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- SISXCCS003 - Address client needs
- SISFFIT024 - Instruct endurance programs
*Students will be required to complete this unit through another provider.
Why Australian Institute of Personal Trainers?
The Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT) are experts in wellness, nutrition and fitness, and equip their students with the best in online and face-to-face education. Established in 1999 alongside their partner Registered Training Organisation, Foundation Education, they have grown from a handful of campuses in Queensland to over 100 campuses and an extensive network of Mentors Australia-wide. When you study with AIPT you have access to:
Dedicated student support
Access to a dedicated team of Support Officers to make the transition into study as straightforward as possible.
Over 100 campus locations
With over 100 campuses nationwide, you can find AIPT in a location near you.
Flexible delivery options
AIPT caters to all learning styles and offers flexible study options to suit everyone’s schedules, with a focus on practical learning and hands-on experience.
Throughout your studies as an AIPT student, you will have complete access to their expert education team – a group of mentors who are dedicating to answering any of your questions or study queries. Mentors are seasoned fitness professionals with years of experience in the industry, and can be contacted via email, online or over the phone. AIPT also provides its students with access to the My eCampus learning portal.