In a nutshell
Learn the important skills and insights to set yourself up for a new, exciting and rewarding career in health with Charles Sturt University’s Master of Health Services Management.
Through this course, you’ll come to better understand the Australian public and private healthcare system and how to deliver an efficient, effective and premium service. Go into depth about what makes an effective manager and leader within health services, and gain the skills to lead, plan, implement, monitor and evaluate health service delivery.
Enjoy the flexibility and convenience of online study and give your credentials a boost while maintaining other commitments. Plus, you’ll have access to, and be led by a dedicated and expert team of educators, who will share their extensive experience in the sector.
What you’ll need
To be eligible for this course, you must meet the following:
- Have an undergraduate degree and have at least two years' experience in the health industry; OR
- Health industry experience and a Graduate Certificate in Health Services and a Graduate Diploma in Health Services; OR
- An undergraduate degree and doing/done a management trainee program sponsored by the Australian College of Health
- Meet the minimum academic and English language requirements
The Master of Health Services Management is comprised of 64 points of core subject and completion of 32 points of research, leading change project or management practicum stream. Students much complete a total of 96 points.
Master of Health Services Management (64 points)
- HSM401 Reflecting on Health Care Systems
- HSM402 Human Resources Management (Health Services)
- HSM404 Management and Leadership of Health and Aged Care Services
- HSM406 Resourcing Health and Aged Services
- HSM408 Current Issues in Health Services Management
- HSM409 Evidence-based Health Care Delivery
- HSM510 Health Planning
- HSM512 Evaluating Health Service Performance
Research stream (16 points)
- HLT505 Research Methods in Health Science A
- HLT506 Research Methods in Health Science B
- HLT508 Health Master’s Project
Leading Change Project stream (16 points)
- HSM411 Creativity, innovation and change (Health services)
- HSM412 Leading for Change (Health Services)
- HSM514 Change Project (Health Services)
Management Practicum stream (32 points)
- HSM500 Advanced Management Practice
Why Charles Sturt University?
One of the first universities to adopt distance education study, Charles Sturt University (CSU) is Australia's leading university in online education and continues to strive for innovation and excellence in higher learning. With a track record in graduate employment and strong industry contacts, CSU offers relevant training and workplace skills at both an undergraduate and postgraduate level. CSU specialises in a range of industries such as agriculture, viticulture, education, librarianship, allied health and criminology.
Charles Sturt has 16 campuses in the eastern states of Australia. All CSU students can attend any campus for support and to use available facilities. Campus locations include: Albury-Wodonga, Bathurst, Dubbo, Orange, Port Macquarie, Wagga Wagga.
CSU offers a range of student support services, academic learning support and skills development for all its distance education students. Studying with CSU, you will have access to your online subjects, Student Services, the CSU Library, forums and your exam results through student.csu, a personalised online portal.
You will also have entry into CSU Interact, a scholarly environment that connects students and staff online. Each subject you’re enrolled in will have its own subject site housed within CSU Interact, giving you access to learning content, tools and subject forums.