In a nutshell
The Bachelor of Business (Sport Management), offered by Deakin University, is a specialised business course for those wishing to pursue management careers in sporting organisations.
Throughout this undergraduate course, you’ll develop a comprehensive knowledge and skill base relating to the business side of sport. You’ll learn about everything from sport systems and organisations to finance, promotion, management and law. By the time you graduate, you’ll have the skills necessary to manage organisations that hold sporting competitions and major events, work in community programs that encourage participation in sport, and more.
This course offers a choice between two study modes: online learning and on-campus study in Melbourne. You’ll complete 8 sport management units, 8 business units and 8 elective units of your choice.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- All applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements.
- Entry for school leavers will be based on their performance in the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or its equivalent, with pre-requisite units 3 and 4; a study score of at least 25 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 20 in English other than EAL. Applicants will be selected in accordance with the published clearly-in Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for that year.
- Entry for non school leavers will be based on their performance in:
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline; OR
- a Diploma in any discipline; OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units; OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience.
In this sports management course, the subjects you may study include:
- Sport and the Law
- Sport Organisation
- Sport in Society
- Managing High Performance Sport
- Sport Management Practicum
- Sport Facility and Event Management
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Leadership and Governance
- Business Core Units
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Economic Principles
- Fundamentals of Finance
- Business Analytics
- Law for Commerce
- Marketing Fundamentals
- Personal Insight
Why Deakin University?
Established in 1974 as Australia’s first regional university in Victoria, Deakin University has consistently raised the bar in delivering quality tertiary education with a focus on excellent teaching and research.
The multi-award winning education provider teaches over 53,000 students a year, offering renowned courses that integrate real-world expertise and practical skills. Get recognised with Deakin in a range of industries, including nutrition, sports management, property management, law, business and more. Plus, they’ve have ranked in the top 2% by the acclaimed Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
As a student of Deakin, you’ll get support every step of the way along your learning journey!
They’ve got a range of on-campus facilities and online features to help ease the pressure of study, including on-campus childcare services, a medical centre with qualified nurses and doctors, free and confidential counselling (face-to-face or via phone) and more.
Deakin also offer advisers and resources to help develop your academic skills. Advisers are available on campus and online to help guide you in your research, assignment and study practices.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: