In a nutshell
The Bachelor of Cyber Security from Deakin University provides the strong basis of technical skills and knowledge needed for a career in professional cyber security.
Throughout this comprehensive course, you’ll learn how to identify, diagnose, analyse and manage the challenges of cyber security in an increasingly digital world. Topics you’ll cover include: computer crime and digital forensics; evaluating software for security vulnerabilities; designing secure databases; securing operating systems; assessing and reinforcing the security of websites; integrating security requirements into new developments; designing secure network architectures; performing risk assessments; and responding to cyber security incidents.
With a focus on technical elements, the course allows students to use specialised software in order to apply critical thinking and problem solving skills to real-world threats and challenges within the digital space.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- All applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements.
- Entry for school leavers will be based on their performance in the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or its equivalent, with pre-requisite units 3 and 4; a study score of at least 25 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 20 in English other than EAL. Applicants will be selected in accordance with the published clearly-in Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for that year.
- Entry for non school leavers will be based on their performance in:
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline; OR
- a Diploma in any discipline; OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units; OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience.
In this security course, the subjects you may study include:
- Exploring I.T.
- Thinking Technology and Design
- Real World Practices for Cyber Security
- Safety Induction Program
- Data and Information Management
- Introduction to Programming
- Professional Practice in a Digital World
- Discrete Mathematics
- Introduction to Work Placements
- Networks and Communications
- Cyber Security Management
- Computer Crime and Digital Forensics
- Project Design
- Data Analytics for Cyber Security
- Ethical Hacking
- IT Placement
- Industry Based Learning
- Project Delivery
- System Security
Why Deakin University?
Established in 1974 as Australia’s first regional university in Victoria, Deakin University has consistently raised the bar in delivering quality tertiary education with a focus on excellent teaching and research.
The multi-award winning education provider teaches over 53,000 students a year, offering renowned courses that integrate real-world expertise and practical skills. Get recognised with Deakin in a range of industries, including nutrition, sports management, property management, law, business and more. Plus, they’ve have ranked in the top 2% by the acclaimed Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
As a student of Deakin, you’ll get support every step of the way along your learning journey!
They’ve got a range of on-campus facilities and online features to help ease the pressure of study, including on-campus childcare services, a medical centre with qualified nurses and doctors, free and confidential counselling (face-to-face or via phone) and more.
Deakin also offer advisers and resources to help develop your academic skills. Advisers are available on campus and online to help guide you in your research, assignment and study practices.