In a nutshell
If you’re pursuing a career in professional counselling, and want to give yourself a competitive edge by advancing your skills and development, a Master of Counselling and Psychotherapy from Edith Cowan University is the ultimate postgraduate course for you.
This coursework degree combines theoretical study with experiential-based skill development and self-reflective clinical practice. You’ll cover core subjects such as couples and family therapy, group psychotherapy, and the theories and principles of psychodynamic practice. You’ll also have the option of completing a year-long fieldwork placement or applying to complete a research project.
Studying at ECU’s Joondalup campus, you’ll complete two years of full-time study (or four years part-time), graduating with the advanced skills and hands-on experience you need to pursue your dream career in counselling or psychotherapy.
What you’ll need
You may be eligible to apply for a postgraduate course at ECU if you meet the following requirements:
- Hold a 3 year Bachelor Degree from a recognised Australian Institution (or equivalent), ideally in a related field; AND
- Meet ECU’s English Competency requirements and any other special admission requirements for the course
In this counselling course, the subjects you may study include:
- Principles of Psychodynamic Practice
- Psychodynamic Theories of Counselling
- Couples and Family Therapy
- Individual Psychotherapy Practice 1
- Individual Psychotherapy Practice 2
- Object Relations and Attachment Theory
- Personal Issues in Counselling
- Psychodynamic Theories of Couples and Family Therapy
- Couples and Family Therapy Practice 1
- Couples and Family Therapy Practice 2
- Group Supervision 1
- Field Placement 1
- Field Placement 2
- Group Psychotherapy
- Group Supervision 2
- Psychotherapy Research
- Counselling Research: Project Preparation
- Counselling Research Project
- Counselling Research Project Report
Why Edith Cowan University?
Since opening in 1991, Edith Cowan University (ECU) has established itself as the go-to Australian university for a quality learning experience. Students graduate among some of the best in the world and have continued to serve society in many important roles.
ECU produces winners because they are a winner! In 2018 Times Higher Education ranked ECU in the world’s top 150 universities under 50 years old, and the Good Universities Guide has given them a 5-star rating for teaching quality 12 years straight.
From social work, youth work, nutrition, engineering, technology, management and more, ECU offer a host of undergraduate and postgraduate courses that’ll excel your career and expose you to new levels of success. Enquire today and see where an ECU qualification can lead you!
Students feel happy, well supported and well educated when they study with ECU, in fact, in the 2018 QILT survey, Edith Cowan University received the highest student experience rating of all Australian public universities.
When you study with ECU, you’ll have access to expert course advice, counselling, diversity and disability services, transnational and national program support, student success programs, careers and employability services... just to name a few.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: