In a nutshell
Delivered by Foundation Education, this HLT35015 Certificate III in Dental Assisting & HLT45015 Certificate IV in Dental Assisting (Oral Health Promotion Specialisation) allows you to gain specialist skills as a dental assistant to help you pursue a wider range of employment options.
The coursework will give you an overview of oral health care provision, allowing you to develop patient-specific programs including those for older people. Combined with 250 hours of practical placement, this dual qualification gives you job-ready skills that will help you start your career with confidence.
Gain practical skills
As part of this course, you will need to organise and complete a minimum of 250 hours of work placement in a dental clinic.
What you’ll need
Whilst there are no formal entry requirements mandated by the training package, students’ skills and capabilities to undertake this training product will be assessed and advice on suitability will be provided during the pre-enrolment process.
Students under the age of 18 years require the signed consent of a parent or guardian to enrol in this qualification.
Work Placement Requirements
For mandatory work placement (300 hours, including an initial 50 hours completed in simulation), students must have access to a dental practice and a qualified supervisor i.e. a person who holds Certificate III in Dental Assisting or higher relevant qualification. Students may need to undertake a Working with Children check to meet individual work placement employer requirements.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic
(Dial-up access is not recommended)
Windows : Operating system – Windows 8 or above
Internet Browser – Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
MAC : Operating system - OS X 10.14 Mojave or later
Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download)
In this dental assisting course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- BSBWOR301 - Organise personal work priorities and development
- BSBCUS401 - Coordinate implementation of customer service strategies
- HLTDEN003 - Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- HLTWHS003 - Maintain work health and safety
- HLTDEN001 - Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures
- HLTINF001 - Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTINF003 - Implement and monitor infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTINF002 - Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- HLTDEN002 - Assist with dental radiography
- HLTDEN004 - Implement an individualised oral hygiene program
- HLTDEN010 - Implement an oral hygiene program for older people
- HLTDEN011 - Implement an oral health promotion program
- *HLTAID003 - Provide first aid
* Please note that unit HLTAID003 – Provide first aid must be completed through an external provider.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drive the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
- Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.