In a nutshell
The Certificate III in Education Support and Certificate IV in Education Support dual qualification will equip you with the skills required to support students with different developmental issues, and the knowledge needed to guide the responsible behaviour of children and young people in a safe and supportive environment.
You will also learn how to assist Teachers in delivering planned education programs, support the development of literacy, numeracy and oral skills, ensure the learning environment is inclusive and relevant, support and protect children and young people who are at risk of harm, ensure the effective functioning of a classroom and understand and apply a range of principles and processes to facilitate student learning.
Upon completion of this course, you will be qualified to work as a Teacher Aide, Education Assistant or Education Officer. You may also choose to work as a Special Needs Teacher Aide, assisting Teachers in educating children with learning difficulties. Across all roles, you will encourage participation in classroom and other school activities to develop the skill sets and increase the confidence of children.
These courses also require a minimum of 100 hours of work placement in an education environment and a supervisor able to sign off on practical demonstration elements. You will also be required to undertake the unit HLTAID003 Provide First Aid through an external provider.
What you’ll need
Whilst there are no formal entry requirements mandated by the training package, students’ skills and capabilities to undertake this training product will be assessed and advice on suitability will be provided during the pre-enrolment process.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 years your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
Students must apply for their Working with Children check at course commencement. For mandatory work placement (100 hours), students must have access to an education environment AND a qualified teacher who is employed at the school. Education environments may include:
- Government school (pre-primary, primary and secondary)
- Private/non-government school (pre-primary, primary and secondary)
- Education centre
- Special educational centre
- Community educational centre
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the online part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
- Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
- Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended).
- Windows : Operating system – Windows XP or Vista 7 or above
- Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser – latest version of Google Chrome
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download
In this education course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHCEDS001 - Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment
- CHCEDS002 - Assist implementation of planned educational programs
- CHCEDS003 - Contribute to student education in all developmental domains
- CHCEDS004 - Contribute to organisation and management of classroom or centre
- CHCEDS005 - Support the development of literacy and oral language skills
- CHCEDS006 - Support the development of numeracy skills
- CHCEDS007 - Work effectively with students and colleagues
- CHCEDS017 - Contribute to the health and safety of students
- CHCEDS018 - Support students with additional needs in the classroom environment
- CHCECE006 - Support behaviour of children and young people
- CHCEDS024 - Use educational strategies to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander education
- CHCEDS025 - Facilitate learning for students with disabilities
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 - Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCPRT001 - Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- *HLTAID003 - Provide first aid
- CHCEDS023 - Supervise students outside the classroom
- CHCPRP001 - Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
- CHCEDS021 - Assist in facilitation of student learning
- CHCEDS022 - Work with students in need of additional support
- CHCEDS032 - Support learning and implementation of responsible behaviour
- CHCPRP003 - Reflect on and improve own professional practice
* Please note that unit HLTAID003 – Provide first aid must be completed through an external provider.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drive the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
- Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.