In a nutshell
Become a fully qualified professional Dental Assistant, or upskill to move onto the next stage of your dental practice career, with the nationally recognised HLT35021 Certificate III in Dental Assisting and HLT45021 Certificate IV in Dental Assisting from Foundation Education.
This course is designed to give you all the skills you need to succeed in any assistant role within dental practices, and will teach you crucial skills such as how to assist with administration of a dental practice, how to prepare for and assist with dental procedures, how to assist with dental radiography, how to process reusable medical devices and equipment and how to comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures.
On completion of the course, you will be fully qualified to work across multiple dental assisting roles in any dental practice in Australia.
Please note: This is a fee-for-service program.
What you’ll need
Students must complete HLT35021 Certificate III in Dental Assisting before commencing HLT45021 Certificate IV in Dental Assisting.
Whilst there are no formal entry requirements mandated by the training package, students’ skills and capabilities to undertake this training product will be assessed and advice on suitability will be provided during the pre-enrolment process.
Students under the age of 18 years require the signed consent of a parent or guardian to enrol in this qualification.
Work Placement Requirements
For mandatory work placement (350 hours, including an initial 50 hours completed in simulation), students must have access to a dental practice and a qualified supervisor i.e. a person who holds Certificate III in Dental Assisting or higher relevant qualification. Students may need to undertake a Working with Children check to meet individual work placement employer requirements.
To complete HLT45021 Certificate IV in Dental Assisting students will need further access to a dental practice with relevant equipment, imaging equipment, patients, and staff to complete practical activities. During these placement activities students must have access to a suitably qualified supervisor i.e. a person who hold a Certificate IV in Dental Assisting or higher relevant qualification.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
When completing this HLT35021 Certificate III in Dental Assisting and HLT45021 Certificate IV in Dental Assisting, you may study the following subjects:
- CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- HLTDEN015 - Prepare for and assist with dental procedures
- HLTDEN016 - Assist with dental radiography
- HLTDEN017 - Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTINF002 - Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- *HLTAID011 - Provide first aid
- HLTDET001 - Construct models
- HLTSTE003 - Sterilise loads
- HLTWHS003 - Maintain work health and safety
- BSBMED301 - Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- HLTINF006 - Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
- HLTDEN0027 - Take a clinical photograph
- HLTSTE004 - Manage sterile stock
*This course contains the unit, HLTAID011 Provide First Aid, which must be completed through an external RTO. Foundation Education has an agreement in place with Red Cross Australia (RTOID 3605) which allows students to receive training for this unit at a reduced price. Please note that the cost of this external training is not included in any of your course fees. Upon completion, you will need to submit a copy of your first aid certificate in order for us to process a Credit Transfer against this unit on your student record. If you have chosen your own third-party provider, you must submit a certified copy of your certificate. If you have undertaken training with Red Cross Australia, you must forward Foundation Education the email you receive which contains the electronic copy of your certificate.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education provides students with access to quality vocational education and employment opportunities alongside their sister brand, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT), and a robust network of industry partners all around Australia.
With courses designed by industry experts, you'll gain the knowledge and experience to graduate with the job-ready skills employers seek. Plus, you can learn at your pace and place with flexible study options.
Whether you're interested in a career as a Dental Assistant, Teacher Aide, Office Manager, Physiotherapy Assistant, or something else, Foundation Education has a vocational study option to take you where you want to go.
The Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – The theoretical component of the courses can be completed online at your own pace.
- Dedicated Student Support – Industry-experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to provide you with comprehensive skills and knowledge required to graduate job-ready.
- National Recognised Training - Every Certificate and Diploma offered is nationally recognised and accredited, meeting established industry needs and national quality assurance requirements.
Foundation Education RTO 22557