In a nutshell
The Certificate IV in Education Support (CHC40213) from Foundation Education, will give you the skills required to support the behaviour of children and young people, supervise students outside the classroom, apply a range of principles and processes to facilitate student learning and comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment.
You also gain skills and knowledge in providing support to students who face a range of challenges that may limit their participation in outcomes from the curriculum. Upon graduation, you will be qualified to provide a stimulating, safe and meaningful learning environment as a Teacher Aide, Education Assistant or Special Needs Teacher Aide. You will also be qualified to work as a Language or Literacy Worker, helping children how to read and write. Across all positions, you may be required to perform tasks with a moderate level of autonomy or under the supervision of other staff.
This course also requires a minimum of 100 hours of work placement in an education environment and a supervisor able to sign off on practical demonstration elements. You will also be required to undertake the unit HLTAID003 Provide First Aid through an external provider.
What you’ll need
You will need to have completed year 12, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
- Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
- Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended).
- Windows : Operating system – Windows XP or Vista 7 or above.
- Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome.
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser – latest version of Google Chrome.
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download).
In this education course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHCEDS001 – Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment
- CHCECE006 – Support behaviour of children and young people
- CHCEDS021 – Assist in facilitation of student learning
- CHCEDS022 – Work with students in need of additional support
- CHCEDS024 – Use educational strategies to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander education
- CHCEDS025 – Facilitate learning for students with disabilities
- CHCEDS032 – Support learning and implementation of responsible behaviour
- CHCPRP003 – Reflect on an improve own professional practice
- CHCPRT001 – Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- CHCDIV001 – Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 – Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- HLTWHS001 – Participate in work health and safety
- CHCEDS023 – Supervise students outside the classroom
- CHCPRP001 – Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
- TAEDEL401A – Plan, organise and deliver group-based learning
- TAEDEL402A – Plan, organise and facilitate learning in the workplace
- *HLTAID003 – Provide first aid
*This course contains a core unit, HLTAID003 Provide first aid, which must be completed through an external RTO. Foundation Education has an agreement in place with Red Cross Australia (RTOID 3605) which allows students to receive training for this unit at a reduced price. Red Cross Australia is a third party training provider who conduct training and assessment services on behalf of Foundation Education.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drive the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
- Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.